Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My First Day of Law School: Part 2


After sitting down in my seat, I could not calm my nerves.  My heart was pounding one hundred beats per minute.  I looked at some of my colleagues and thought that the look of terror in their eyes would help ease my nerves.  That sounded like a solid plan, but everyone I looked at appeared to be calm.  That caused more trepidation and uncertainty on my part. As if that was not unsettling enough, I started thinking about my cell phone and wondering if I had put it in silent mode before coming into the classroom.  As I reached in my bag to check for my cell phone, I heard a deep, booming voice say "welcome to civil procedure."  

At that moment, I knew that I had reached the proverbial "point of no return."  I began thinking about the events leading to my decision to pursue a legal career.  I thought about the sacrifices I had made by leaving my career in banking and the opportunities I had foregone to begin law school.  I had come too far to doubt myself, so I decided that I would do whatever was necessary to become a successful law student.  I snapped out of my haze and began listening to my civil procedure professor, who happened to be a legend at my law school.  He is the best professor I have ever had at any level of education.  The way he taught the class and the level of excellence he demanded from his students is something I carry with me everyday.  

After surviving civil procedure,it was time for property.  My professor told us that she would be randomly calling on students to answer questions.  She also told us that she would be using the dreaded socratic method.  I knew I would have to come to her class prepared and ready to answer multiple questions, if necessary.  That said, I knew I was not prepared that first day and I prayed that she would not ask me to answer a question.  It was the same prayer you pray when you know you are doing something that is wrong and you swear that you will never do it again if God helps you get through it.  I did not want to get off on the wrong foot with my professor, or my colleagues by appearing unprepared.  I was relieved when class concluded and I survived without being asked to brief a case or answer a legal question about a case.  

Property class concluded around 11:00 a.m.  I was relieved because I knew my next class did not begin until 2:00 p.m.  I went to the library for an hour and reviewed some of the written material from civil procedure.  I packed my lunch that day and decided that I would eat lunch around 12:00 p.m.  Around noon, I went to "the fishbowl," which is an area in the lower level of the law school where many people watched television, studied, ate meals or just relaxed.  I sat down at a table with some people I did not know.  I said hello and then started eating my lunch.  I did not consider starting a meaningful conversation with anyone at the table.  They probably thought I was a jerk.  Honestly, I wanted to talk to them but I did not think I had time because I needed to prepare myself for my last class of the day.

I will discuss the remainder of my day in the third installment.  

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment