Sunday, March 17, 2013

Above the Rim: My Favorite Basketball Movie

So, the other day, I asked some friends to name their favorite basketball movie.  My question received many different answers.  Blue Chips, Love and Basketball, Sunset Park, He Got Game, Coach Carter and White Men Can't Jump each received serious consideration.  However, the movie mentioned the most is Above the Rim.  It is also my all time favorite basketball movie.  

I still remember my first time seeing the movie.  My mother took me to the movie theater on Reynolda Road in Winston-Salem to (Can't remember the name of the theater) see this movie when it was released in 1994.  To provide some context for my love of the movie, I have to explain where I was mentally at that point in life.  I was 12 years old and I had recently begun a life long love affair with the game of basketball.  I started playing organized basketball in the 6th grade, which was about a year or so before this movie was released.  I had hoop dreams and thought I would eventually play major college basketball.  I knew it would require hard work and dedication.  Kyle Watson, the extremely talented, yet impressionable, star of the movie faced many issues a top recruit faces.  Honestly, I thought I might someday face similar challenges.

When I think about the great basketball movies that have been released over the years, Above The Rim has the most authentic basketball scenes. That probably has a lot to do with the players/actors involved in the movie.  Duane Martin was actually an excellent basketball player who played for the New York Knicks for a short stint, before sustaining an injury that shortened his career.  I believe Wood Harris or "Motar" can really play basketball. "Speedy" was also a really well respected playground basketball player in New York City's famed Rucker Park.  Leon is also a really good basketball player.  That distinguishes this movie from Sunset Park and Coach Carter.  Although those movies are good, the star actors looked clumsy, and awkward during basketball scenes.



Above the Rim is historically significant as well because of its star-studded cast.  This movie marked one of Tupac's last performances on the big screen and also one of his best roles as "Birdie."  He was a perfect fit for the role, just as he was for his role as "Bishop" in Juice.  This movie also featured a memorable performance from the late, great Bernie Mac as "Flip."  Wood Harris who is famous for his role as "Avon" in The Wire also did an excellent job in his role as "Motar."  Marlon Wayans also nailed his role as "Bugaloo" and really helped him make a splash in Hollywood.  The gritty, and often low budget feel of the movie made it feel so authentic.  I could go on and on about this movie, but I won't.  If you have not seen it and you love basketball, you should definitely check it out.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment