Wednesday, April 10, 2013

House Party: What's Your Favorite Scene?

I am sitting on my couch watching the Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets game.  This game is not boring, but for some reason, I am not able to focus.  It probably has a lot to do with the fact that this game has no significance and I know both teams will be in the playoffs.  As I looked to the right of my television, I saw one of my favorite DVDs, House Party. It is absolutely one of my all-time favorite movies.  I watched it for the millionth time this past weekend.  And, no matter how many times I watch it, I still laugh and enjoy it like it is my first time seeing it.  That is the sign of a classic; that is the same feeling I get when I listen to Illmatic, Ready to Die, or Reasonable Doubt.  The movie also makes me reminisce to my childhood.

Many of House Party's cast members made their respective debuts into the entertainment field.  And, it shows that a low budget movie can produce big box office results.  Think about the great entertainers who starred in the movie.  Martin Lawrence, Tisha Campbell, Kid N Play, Robin Harris, John Witherspoon, A.J. Johnson and Daryl Mitchell.  Martin Lawrence's career blossomed after his role in House Party.  He has had one of the most successful Hollywood careers of all the cast members.  That is somewhat ironic because Kid N Play were the bigger stars during the early 1990s.  Kid N Play recorded several studio albums and starred in other movies. Tisha Campbell was Martin's co-star in their hit television show, Martin.  Witherspoon has made a career of his nappy hair and inappropriate jokes.    

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Kid decides to sneak out of his dad's house, even though his dad told him he could not leave.  Each time I watch the movie, I wonder why he did not put his foot over the letter that was delivered to his house.  If he had thought quickly on his feet, his dad would have never known about his little altercation at school, and he could have avoided the proverbial beat down coming his way.  In the alternative, I always thought he could have told his father his version of the story.  That would have taken the sting out of his situation at school and he would have probably been able to attend the party.  But, had either of those things occurred, the movie's plot would have been totally different.  Consequently, the movie probably would not have been any good.  I digress.

What is your favorite scene from the movie?

If I asked 100 people this question, 98 would probably say the famous dance scene at the party.  That party was so live.  It reminded me of college when some of my best friends hosted house parties at their town house.  As much as I like and appreciate the dance scene, I am a hip hop head, and therefore the rap battle is my favorite scene.  A runner-up scene is when Bilal is mixing and scratching and Chill keeps bumping into the table.  "Chill, don't bump the table"! 



If you have not seen this movie, you need to check it out.  It is just as relevant now as it was when it was released in 1990.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment