Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mos Def & Slick Rick: The Show


Mos Def a.k.a. Yasiin Bey (hereinafter "Mos Def") and Slick Rick are hip hop legends.  Slick Rick "the Ruler" is a pioneer of hip hop and the original story teller.  Mos Def emerged from the underground hip hop scene in the mid-1990s and is widely considered one of the best lyricists of all time.  I attended the concert on a whim; that is, I had no plans to attend until the last possible moment. I made the decision to attend the concert slated to begin at 8:00 p.m. at 4:00 p.m. Usually, when I make such decisions, my results have been positive.  So, did my quick decision pay dividends this time? Please continue reading.

SLICK RICK

Slick Rick came to the stage first.  He was draped in at least five pounds of jewelry (maybe I am exaggerating a little).  He is probably the first, or one of the first, flashy, braggadocios rappers.  Despite being 48 years old, Ricky D was sharp, for the most part.  He performed some of his classic hits including Mona Lisa, Children's Story, and La Di Da Di.  His voice was clear and did not sound much different than listening to his old records.  That said, it was clear that he does not perform as much as he did when he was actively on tour.  He stumbled through a few parts of some of his biggest songs.  I was very surprised, but some of these songs were written over 25 years ago.  Overall, I think Slick Rick did a good job and I am very thankful I was able to see his performance.

MOS DEF

Mos Def has been one of my favorite artists since the mid-1990s.  His album Black on Both Sides is a certified classic and still remains one of my favorite hip hop albums.  When he came to the stage, the atmosphere in the building changed.  His stage presence and rapport with the audience was immediately apparent.  

His set up was a little different than Slick Rick because he utilized two DJs.  His approach to his performance was laid back, yet very energetic.  He alluded to not having a set lineup of songs to perform from show to show.  He said his DJs randomly play songs and he kind of goes with the flow.  That is particularly impressive because he said his DJs often play songs he has not performed in years.  He also noted that he has never forgotten a single lyric, ever.  

His performance was true hip hop.  The words that come to mind are: passion, sincerity, lyrics, social consciousness, awareness, and energy.  Between songs, he engaged the crowd in dialogue about various topics.  He discussed Assata Shakur and her recent classification as a terrorist by the United States government.  He expressed that he knows her family and that people need to investigate, and be skeptical of accusatory reports because "today it is Assata, but it can be you or me tomorrow."    

As with any concert I attend, I always have a list of songs I want to hear performed.  My list for Mos included: Ms. Fat Booty, Umi Says, and Auditorium featuring Slick Rick.  He did not disappoint, as he performed each of these songs.  One of the best moments of the night occurred when Slick Rick came to the stage to perform his verse on Auditorium.  It was definitely a good night for hip hop.  


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment