Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Magna Carta Holy Grail: Just My Thoughts


I have been a Jay-Z fan since 1996.  That said, I was cautiously optimistic about the release of Magna Carta Holy Grail ("MCHG").  After all, Jay-Z released the album with little advertising and no lead-off single.  That was strange because often a record label will not release an album without a hit single as a foundation.  It was unexpected that Jay decided to rage against the machine.  However, that is not the first time Jay-Z has thought outside of the proverbial box.  

The Build-Up

Prior to watching the 2013 NBA Finals, I had no idea Jay-Z was working on an album.  As I watched the Miami and San Antonio series, I saw a commercial featuring Jay-Z, Rick Rubin, Pharrell, Timberland and Dr. Dre.  When the commercial initially aired, I was writing a blog post, so my television was on mute.  I learned about the contents of the commercial and other MCHG news shortly thereafter.  For instance, I heard Jay-Z brokered a deal with Samsung whereby Samsung bought one million copies of MCHG before it went on sell to the general public.  As a result, his album would be certified as platinum before its official release date.  I think that deal is the first of its kind.  Again, I am not the least bit surprised because Jay-Z is usually light years ahead of his competition.  

Comparisons

MCHG is a very good album.  It has been compared to J-Cole's Born Sinner and Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid Maad City.  I think the comparisons are fair and should be expected.  However, I have chosen not to compare these albums.  I can appreciate each album for its unique place in hip hop history.  People get caught up too often in the "who has the best album" debate.  I digress.

Jay-Z has reached a very interesting stage of his career.  Actually, he has been in that space for quite some time.  Some people want him to release another Reasonable Doubt type of album.  That album was released in 1996.  The artistic space he was in then is long gone.  It is kind of like how people like Mary J. Blige more when she is sad and singing about pain.  They cannot accept the fact that she has grown as an artist.  Now, getting back to Jay-Z, all of his albums are compared to his classic albums (i.e. Reasonable Doubt, Blue Print, Black Album etc.) or to other legends' classic albums (i.e. Ready To Die, Illmatic, The Chronic, Only Built for Cuban Linx, etc).  The expectations are unreasonable, but he probably would not want it any other way.    

Lyrical Content:

I have heard many people discuss their disdain with the lyrical content of this album.  I do not understand the confusion and frustration.  Most people make music about their lives.  That said, if a person lives an opulent lifestyle, that will be manifested in that person's music.  Likewise, if that person is dealing with poverty or substance abuse, that will be manifested in the music as well.  I appreciate progress.  If Jay-Z still rapped about being on the corner or other street tales, he would look absolutely ridiculous.  Jay-Z is a self-made millionaire and brilliant entrepreneur.  His love of European artwork, high fashion, million dollar cars and extravagant vacation destinations do not bother me in the least bit.  He earned it.  Furthermore, Jay-Z has always been a flashy rapper.  He has always rhymed about being the best at one thing or another.  The choice is simple: listen to the music, or turn it off.  The choice is yours.  


Favorite Tracks:

F.U.T.W is one of my favorite tracks.  "America try to emasculate the greats/ murdered Malcolm gave Ali the shakes."

Picasso Baby is dope too.  "Sleeping every night next to Mona Lisa/ the modern day version with better features." 

Somewhere in America is crazy.  "Million sold before the album dropped/ white Lexus before I had a deal/ ask Bun B about me/ this ain't no snap back I been trill . . . "  

FwithmeyouknowIgotit and Oceans are great songs as well.

I like all but two songs on the album, which are (1) La Familia; and (2) Part Two.  


Peace 

2 comments:

  1. But, what will you rate it (out of 5 mics for instance) and what are you comparing it to? If it is a good album (I think it is), what are you defining good as in this measure?

    Is it defined by comparing MCHG to Jay's other albums? Comparing it to whats out now? Are you comparing it to his last 3 albums (when he was already living a lot of the lifestyle he raps about now)?

    I understand that MCHG is in its own lane, but what can we define it under? New Age hip hop? Or do we just define each track in comparison to the other tracks on the album?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rate it a 4/5. I think this album, Born Sinner and Good Kid Maad city are the best of the year. I do not really compare it to any album in particular.

    I will need to listen to it for a few more months before I can rank it among Jay-Z's other albums. I will revisit this question is a few months for sure.

    I don't have a good way of defining the album other than hip hop. I think Jay-Z delivered a good album with great production and good lyrical content.

    ReplyDelete