Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Law School: Lessons From My First Semester


August 2008 was the month and year the trajectory of my life changed, forever.  I was very excited about the possibility of being a first-year law student and eventually becoming an attorney.  As an admitted student at NCCU School of Law, I received a summer reading list and I believe I read every book on the list (lame, I know).  That summer, I also must have watched every lawyer movie I could find: My Cousin Vinny, A Few Good Men, A Time to Kill, etc.  I knew I was about to make a deep plunge into the legal profession; however, the plunge was much deeper than I could have anticipated.

I received so much advice that summer from many people including friends, associates and random strangers.  My friends and family members were very supportive.  Some friends told me that I was ready for the challenge and that it "would not be that bad."  Others told me I was prepared and that "I was born to be a lawyer."  My lawyer friends offered kind words by saying that if they could do it, then I was certainly capable of doing it.  I respected and appreciated each piece of advice I received that summer.  However, the most helpful piece of advice I received came from an unlikely source.  I randomly ran into someone in the law library who could probably sense that I was a first-year student.  He told me one thing: Law school is hard.  That was all he said and then he walked away. That was the best advice I received that summer; and it proved to be true.

I vividly remember sitting in Contracts during my first week of classes and thinking that I would not be able to live the life I enjoyed before law school.  It became clear to me that I would not have the free time I used to take for granted.  The professors often told us students that for every hour we spend in class, we should spend three hours studying.  When I started doing the calculations in my mind, I honestly did not think it was possible.  Were there enough hours in the day?    I thought: "If I am in class 20 hours per week, that would mean I would need to spend an additional 60 hours per week studying."  Whoa!  I wondered how I would adjust; I wondered how I would piece it all together.  One word came to mind: Sacrifice.

Sacrifice became the word of the year.  I hoped that my family and friends would understand what I was about to go through.  I began feeling like the road ahead of me was one I would be traveling alone.  During my first semester, I had the internal struggle between wanting to have my pre-law school life and wanting to attack law school with every bit of passion and fervor I could muster.  After the first semester, I found my balance (somewhat) and was able to push forward.

Law school is a challenge that will force you to dig deep. It will make you realize who you really are and how bad you really want to become a lawyer.

I learned other lessons during my law school career that I will discuss at a later time.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment