Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Best Debut Album: Biggie, Jay-Z or Nas?

I had a conversation about hip hop the other day and it prompted me to ask myself the question: who had the best debut album of all time?  The more I think about this question, the more I realize that there is no right or wrong answer.  Then, I started thinking about the components which are necessary for a great debut album.  I believe the overall impact an album has on the hip hop community is important but it is not the only or most important factor.  For instance, Reasonable Doubt did not sell major records at the time of its release.  However, it still had a major impact on hip hop’s underground music scene.  Jay-Z has alluded to this very fact when he rhymed that “people did not really appreciate it until the second one came out.”  This is very true and I suspect that this album now receives the admiration it truly deserves.  Nas’ Illmatic, on the other hand, was felt immediately by the mainstream and the underground because of his exploits before his actual debut.  By the time his album was released, he was already held in high regard because of his work on Main Source’s “Live at the BBQ.”  Nas was ahead of his time in terms of making music that could be appreciated by a wide range of people.  B.I.G’s Ready to Die was also a classic album that was highly anticipated.  Of the three debut albums, I believe B.I.G had the best marketing and promotional team and that helped get his message to the masses at a much higher clip.

Sometimes our expectations for an album can be too high.  I think that when fans have no idea that an album will be great; it is easier to appreciate that album.  There are also albums that are highly anticipated but fans do not expect perfection.  I think a good example of this is Raekwon’s Only Built for Cuban Linx album.  Obviously, Raekwon was a respected emcee and had rhymed on Wu Tang Clan’s Enter the 36 Chambers album.  However, many people, at that time, believed Method Man was the best artist from the Wu Tang Clan.  As such, the expectations for Raekwon to drop a classic debut album were not nearly as high.  When he finally released his debut album, it was deemed as an instant classic, and for good reason.  Now, I think Drake is an artist who had so much hype that he could never meet or exceed the expectations.  This guy grossed 7 million dollars in a year without having a record deal.  With that kind of financial production and his long list of mixtapes, the expectations for a great album were high.  Needless to say, I do not think his first album is a classic.  In fact, I think he underachieved on his first album and I believe he released better music on his mixtapes.  I have not had a chance to listen to J. Cole’s album as of yet, but I hope his album is not plagued by unrealistic expectations by the fans.

The final component I will discuss is the importance that making timeless music has on the impact of a debut album.  In my opinion, timeless music can be appreciated today, tomorrow or 40 years from now. The timeless feeling that a good song has is something  the greats of music such as Marvin Gaye or Franky Beverly and Maze  have mastered.  I was telling my mom just the other day that “Before I Let Go” is still the official song played at the end of the night at homecoming parties across the country.  I truly believe this song will always be appreciated and will make people want to dance and have a good time.  I also believe Deangelo’s “Brown Sugar” song has that timeless feel to it.    There is no way to forecast whether an artist will produce timeless music.    It is truly one of those things that you know when you hear.  In hip hop, Tribe Called Quest’s “Electric Relaxation” and “Award Tour” have the timeless feeling.  It is amazing to me that these songs were released in the early 90’s but are still very much relevant and appreciated to this day. 

My selection for best debut album came down to a choice between Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic and Ready to Die.  Ultimately, I chose Reasonable Doubt because I believe 1996 was the year I really began to love hip hop music.  I heard Reasonable Doubt, Atliens and It was Written while I participated in a basketball tournament in Florida.  Before that time, I had “heard” hip hop, but I had not really “listened” to hip hop.  After listening to those albums, I learned to appreciate lyrics and the artistry inherent in all good music.  What is your choice for best debut hip hop album? 

Peace    

No comments:

Post a Comment