Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Top 3 Jay-Z Albums

Jay-Z has released many classic albums and my friends and I always debate which albums we believe to encompass his best work.  Often, people rattle off the first Jay-Z album that comes to mind, and that often is simply the latest album he has released.  I do not answer any question about music with such reckless abandon and I always try to think through my response.  Sometimes, it is easy to forget the sheer number of albums Jay-Z has released over the course of his career.  Many people believe his first album, Reasonable Doubt, is the best album he has ever released.  I think many artists release their best work on their first project because they have essentially worked on the first album for as long as they have been rapping.  Think about the list of solo debut classic albums: Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx; Nas’ Illmatic, Biggie’s Ready to Die and of course Jay-Z’s Reasonable Doubt.  Unfortunately, because of the way the music industry is driven by records sold, the emphasis on having a catchy single is at an all time high.  The passion for producing great music does not exist to the same extent today as it did during the golden era of hip hop. Between the years of 1993-2004, there was no shortage of quality music, whether the music was mainstream or underground. Some of my favorite emcees and groups from this era include: Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common, Capone and Noreaga, Mobb Deep, The Lost Boyz, Wu-Tang Clan, Outkast, Da Lox, Big L, Big Pun, AZ, Cormega and the list goes on and on.  Many of the above mentioned artists are great, but not many of them can boast that they have released classic albums.

What is a classic album?  Some people contend that a classic album is one that has great production, great lyrics, and one that is released at the right time.  The last component cannot be overstated in my opinion because the critical acclaim or scathing criticism an album receives can be tied directly to the timing in which the album is released. For instance, 50 Cent’s album, Get Rich or Die Trying, is widely considered a classic album.  However, let us put the album and its relative worth under another level of scrutiny.  If this album had been released in 1996, would it have been as accepted and revered?  Maybe not.  This album was released at the perfect time and as a result, it was immediately considered a classic album. 

I cannot lie, I am a hard critic of music and sports.  With that being said, I believe some people forget that everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Nowadays, if you do not like something, you are labeled as a “hater.”  My opinion of what a “classic” album encompasses is different than most peoples’ views on the subject.  I believe we all use the term “classic” too loosely.  In my opinion, a classic album is the art equivalent of a masterpiece.  A work of art that is considered a masterpiece does not have flaws, and in this same vein, a classic album should not have any bad songs, beats, or lyrics.  I believe albums that should be considered good projects or even great albums are mislabeled as classics.   Inside my world, if I skip any song on any given album, it simply is not a classic. Classic is synonymous with perfect and this feat is rarely accomplished.  However, I believe Jay-Z has accomplished the feat on at least three occasions.

My favorite Jay-Z album is Reasonable Doubt.  When I first heard the album, I was in Florida at an AAU basketball tournament.  The year was 1996 and it was a great year for hip hop.  I remember listening to Reasonable Doubt, Nas’ It was Written and Outkast’s Atliens album.  Every song on Reasonable Doubt is dope.  The picture he paints on the track, “Dead Presidents” and the hook he used with Nas’ voice combined to produce one of the best songs on the album.  My favorite track on this album changes just as much as the wind blows.   One day my favorite song may be “Feelin it,” or “Can I Live,” or “Politics As Usual.” 

Blueprint is my second favorite Jay-Z album.  To provide some context for my admiration of the album, I was a college sophomore and Jay-Z was engulfed in a historic battle with Nas at the time the album was released. In short, Jay-Z was focused and the result was a classic album.  My favorite track on the album is “Song Cry.”  Sonically, this album sounds different than a lot of other Jay-Z projects.  I believe Blueprint is Jay-Z’s most soulful album to date. 

The Black Album ranks third on my list of Jay-Z albums.  The significance of this album is that it was purportedly Jay-Z’s last album.  The release of the album generated a lot of buzz and I remember Jay-Z releasing the Fade to Black DVD, which chronicled his historic Madison Square Garden performance.  During this time, I did not believe Hov would retire because he seems to be made from the same cloth as Michael Jordan.  Like Jordan, Jay-Z loves the game and the competitive nature of it.  As could be expected, Jay-Z approached the album with a goal of dropping yet another classic album. My favorite song on the album is “Allure.”  The Neptunes dropped the perfect beat and Jay-Z supplied the perfect lyrics for this song.  Sometimes, you have days that seem surreal and perfect and sometimes artists combine with producers to craft the perfect song.  I believe this song is as close to perfect as I have ever heard.

What are your favorite Jay-Z albums?

Peace    

No comments:

Post a Comment