Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Allen Iverson: Best NBA Player Under 6 Feet Tall


My love for the game of basketball began in the 6th grade, but that was not my first encounter with the sport.  While in the 5th grade, I attempted to play basketball for the first time and one of my friends told me I was terrible.  At the time, I could not be mad at him because I was terrible but his words motivated me to challenge myself and learn the game.  I practiced basketball almost every day from that point going forward and worked myself into good enough shape to play in a YMCA basketball league.  I began immersing myself into the basketball culture by watching AAU basketball games, NBA games and college games.  Allen Iverson became a household name just as I entered high school and he immediately became my favorite player because of the tenacious manner with which he played the game. 

Allen Iverson was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers in 1996.  The class of 1996 included included Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, Stephon Marbury and many other great players.  In many respects, his presence in the league ushered in a new era of basketball for many people.  His on-the-court talent is undeniable but his off-the-court influence must be considered as well. He came into the league and did things his own way and did not apologize for being himself.  He ushered in the hip hop era of the NBA with his tattoos, corn rows, and baggy shorts.  Although the executives and conservative naysayers may not have liked his style, they could not deny his talent on the basketball court. When he won Rookie Of The Year in 1996, he talked about doing things his way.  He said he did not want to be remembered as the next Michael Jordan or the next Magic Johnson.  He wanted to remembered for being Allen Iverson.   His defiant nature would not have worked for most players, but then again, most players did not have his talent.

I think Jay-Z said it best when he said, “men lie, women lie, but numbers don’t.”  As an NBA rookie and savior for the Philadelphia 76ers franchise, Iverson averaged 24 points, 8 assists and 2.2 steals and won Rookie of the Year.  In his third season, he averaged 26.8 points per game, 2.3 steals and 4.6 assists per game and won the first of many scoring titles.  His 2000-01 campaign must go down in history as one of the best individual seasons in league history.  This season saw him average 31.1 points per game, 2.5 steals per game and 4.6 assists per game.  He was named the league MVP and All-Star game MVP.  He also won the scoring title and steals title.  Despite his individual success, his biggest accomplishment was leading his overmatched Philadelphia 76ers’ team into the NBA finals to face the mighty Los Angeles Lakers which featured Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant.  The second best player on his team was probably Aaron Mckie or George Lynch but he willed his team to an upset victory during game one of the Finals.  During the remainder of his career, He never averaged less than 26 points per game until 2008-09 when he was traded to the Pistons.  His career averages are incredible.  Over a career that started in the mid 90’s and lasted until 2010, he managed to average 26.7 points per game and 6.2 assists per game.

I would be remiss, however,  if I did not mention another great player of small stature  Many people consider him to be the best small guard to ever play the game.  The biggest supporters of this argument state the obvious which is that Isiah Thomas won two NBA championships.  Isiah played for 13 seasons and has career averages of 19.2 points per game and 9.3 assists per game.  He was an 11 time NBA All Star and member of the Hall of Fame Class of 2000.  Those who make this argument have a solid foundation to do so, but I think the inferior quality of the teams Allen played on must be considered as well.  I do not believe a player’s worth can be measured simply by evaluating the number of championship rings he has attained.

Allen Iverson was in incredible talent and his impact was made on the court and off the court.  He will always be my favorite player under 6 feet tall to play the game.    Check out some clips.

Caught Michael Jordan slipping
Illest Crossover Mix

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment