Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Top 10 Favorite Hip Hop Albums











Jay-Z released Reasonable Doubt in 1996.  This album is my favorite hip hop album of all time.  The beats, lyrics and subject matter are as close to perfect as I have heard in any hip hop album.  I can listen to this album from cover to cover.  My favorite track on this album is “Dead Presidents.”Because this album has so many great tracks, my favorite track changes almost daily. 


Notorious B.I.G released Ready to Die in 1994.  This album has so many classic tracks.  Biggie displayed his full range of lyrical skills on this album.  My favorite track on this album is “Warning.”   



Capone and Noreaga released The War Report in 1997.  This album is raw on so many different levels.  Noreaga provided most of the lyrics for the album because Capone was incarcerated at the time the album was released.  My favorite track on this album is “Bloody Money.“




Outkast released Aquemini in 1998.  This album is one of my favorite albums of all time.  Andre 3000 and Big Boi delivered a classic album that is heavy in lyrical content   My favorite track on this album is “Aquemini.”



Nas released Illmatic in 1994.  Many people consider this to be the best hip hop album of all time.  The beauty of this album is that it was created by a 16 year old Nasir Jones.  The subject matter and delivery were stellar and it is still baffling to me that a 16 year old has the talent and resolve to tackle such heavy topics.  My favorite track on the album is “One Love.”



Most Def and Talib Kweli released Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star in 1998.  When I think of underground hip hop, this album immediately crosses my mind.  My favorite track on this album is “Respiration,” which features Common.




Raekwon released Only Built for Cuban Linx in 1995.  This is my favorite solo release from The  Wu Tang Clan.  My favorite track on the album is “Verbal Intercourse.”



Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek released Reflection Eternal in 2000.  This is a classic album and I can listen to every song from cover to cover.  My favorite track on the album is “Expansion Outro.”



Mobb Deep released The Infamous in 1995.  This album epitomizes the “grimey” era of hip hop.  My favorite track on this album is “Survival of the Fittest.”



Tupac Shakur released The Don Killuminati: 7 Day Theory album in 1996.  Tupac was at his best on this album and he displayed all aspects of his rhyming repertoire.  My favorite track on this album is “Blasphemy.” 

I do not think my list necessarily represents the top 10 hip hop albums of all time, but these are 10 of my favorite albums.  What are your favorite albums?

No comments:

Post a Comment