Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Love the 1990s: Part I




There is something about autumn that makes me feel nostalgic, so travel with me as I go back to the 1990s.  I was born in the 1980s, but I came of age during the 1990s.  My love for that period grows with each passing day.  The lessons learned in the 1990s are still with me today.  

The television shows released during the 1990s are on another level.  Although the current television shows have better production quality, the shows from the 1990s had an authentic feel that cannot be duplicated.  A Different World is one of my all time favorite shows.  I still remember watching the show and believing that college life would be just like it was at fictional Hillman College.  Because I did not attend an HBCU, my college experience was somewhat different than the show.  But, many of the issues the show addressed, I saw firsthand while a college student in the early 2000s.  I cannot talk about television shows and not mention my all time favorite show, Martin.  Martin Lawrence is a comedic genius and his show was well ahead of its time.  Ole Otis, Jerome, Bob from Marketing, Roscoe, and Dragonfly Jones are a few of my favorite characters.  Family Matters was another one of my favorite shows that I watched with my parents on Friday nights.  That show provided laughs for people of all ages and also discussed important family topics.  The Cosby Show portrayed the black nuclear family in a positive light.  Cliff Huxtable was a physician and his wife, Clair Huxtable, was an attorney.  Teen Summit was a great show that addressed serious issues young, black teenagers were dealing with.  It aired during a time when the programming on BET was still good.  That said, how could I forget about BET’s Rap City: The Basement.  I looked forward to coming home after school and watching the latest and greatest in hip hop on the show.  I could go on and on about great 1990s television shows.

The other day, as I sat on my couch looking at old pictures, I came across an old picture of myself during the 1990s.  I was wearing an Avirex shirt, black Avirex jeans and black Timberland Boots.  Also, I was wearing a gold chain with a cross pendant, a black doo-rag, “diamond” earrings and a black New York Yankees fitted hat.  Those were the days!  Back in the 1990s, people wore baggy clothes, which is completely different than the popular style today.  Cross Colors is one of the least fashionable clothing brands ever crafted, but, it was very popular in the early 1990s.  Nautica bubble coats and UNLV Starter brand coats were big during the 1990s.  Timberland boots were wildly popular during the 1990s.  I recall asking my mother to buy me a pair of wheat Timberland Boots.  I asked her to buy me the kind with the leather at the top of the boot, which sold for $145.00.  If I had walked the halls of Cook Middle School with the boots without the leather, I would have been clowned for sure.  During my time at Cook Middle School, the “fashionable” young ladies wore Reebok Classics and tennis skirts.  The popular style of dress was heavily influenced by the hip hop culture.  I remember going back-to-school shopping with my mother the week before beginning high school.  We went to Hanes Mall and went to my favorite stores at the time—Belk, Hects and Dillards.  I was on a mission to find Tommy Hilfiger, Polo and Nautica t-shirts, book bags, and shorts.  Those were some of the best times of my life.  Remember CHAPS by Ralph Lauren?  The acronym CHAPS stood for “Could Have Had a Polo Shirt.” 

I met a few friends at a bar the other night and we a good conversation about the 1990s.  One of my friends talked about how he recently spoke with his 15 year old cousin.  His cousin told him that he had recently learned about “old school” gaming systems in his technology class.  He said he learned about the Nintendo, and my friend was excited and started telling him all about Mike Tyson’s Punchout and so many other games.  Then, his cousin said, “I learned about the Nintendo 64, not the Nintendo.”  He told his cousin that the Nintendo 64 is not old school. We all laughed about the experience and starting talking about technology during the 1990s.  Who remembers their mother giving them a quarter to keep in their pocket in case they had to use a pay phone to make an emergency phone call?  Who remembers beepers?  I had two or three different beepers in high school.  I remember owning a Nintendo and playing Blades of Steel, Tecmo Bowl, and Arch Rivals.  If you owned or even played a Nintendo game, you remember having to blow dust out of the game and the gaming console.  The joystick on the Nintendo had two buttons, “a” and “b.” I still remember having to use an antenna to get a clear picture on the tube television at my grandmother’s house.   Life was simple and the gaming systems, and pay phones were signs of that fact.  During the 1990s, many people in my age range did not have bills to pay, or children to care for or any other major responsibilities.  My biggest responsibility was going to school, making good grades and taking out the trash.  Because I love the 1990s so much, I will revisit this topic again soon.

Follow the Gentleman's Report 


Peace      


No comments:

Post a Comment