Thursday, October 11, 2012

Taken 2: Prime Example of Why Sequels are Rarely Better



I like movies.  Okay, I love movies.  I watched Taken a few years ago and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  Going into the movie, I had no expectations whatsoever.  It ended up being a much better movie than I ever could have imagined.  In the same way that a defensive end surprises a quarterback and sacks him, Taken really surprised me.  I was aware of Liam Neeson, but he had not played a signature role until Taken.  Also, I had not heard any of my friends talking about it, nor did I even remember the movie being at the theaters.  Typically, that combination is a dead giveaway that a movie is either not any good or a slept on classic.  Taken falls in the latter category.

The plot, acting and concept were all above average.  If you have not seen the movie, I will try my hand at giving a brief summary of the plot.  Liam Neeson’s character was a veteran CIA operative and because of his career, he missed a lot of important moments in his daughter’s life.  His career ruined his marriage as well.  So, his ex-wife and mother of his daughter married a rich man.  They both moved in with him.  Shortly thereafter, Neeson had a change of heart and decided that his relationship with his family was more important that his career.  He began trying to reconnect with his daughter, who was then a teenager.  In doing so, he begrudgingly agreed to allow her to travel with a friend to Europe for the summer.  He thought she would be staying with the family of her friend.  Unbeknownst to him, his daughter and her friend really planned to spend the entire summer following a rock band across Europe.  When he discovers his daughter’s plan (and his wife was well aware), it was too late. His daughter was taken by men dealing in human trafficking.  He was determined to get his daughter back.  If you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.

Can you think of a sequel that is better than the original movie?  I cannot.  Ironically, that same principle seems to hold true in music as well.  I do not know why directors fail to follow up a classic movie with another classic.  I have a few ideas though.  What are the components of a classic movie?  Great acting, plot, timing, original idea, and a great music score are a few components contributing to a great movie.  Of the factors, I think a novel idea might be the most important.  There has to be something about the movie that make it just a little different and better than a movie with a similar plot.  It needs the “it” factor.  Saw comes to mind.  I think it is a classic horror movie.  Jigsaw was a little more diabolical and sinister than most serial killers in movies.  It had the “it” factor.  But, the sequel, and subsequent 25 other “Saw” movies never lived up to the hype from the original movie.  In hip hop, the phenomena is known as a “sophomore slump.”  And, despite knowing that a sequel will rarely be as good as the first movie, we still go to the movie and expect to see a product more novel, and more special than the first.  We are almost always disappointed at the result.  But, don’t we know that before we pay to see the sequel?  I digress.

By no means am I saying Taken 2 is not a good movie.  I think it is very entertaining, but I think it is also very predictable.  Predictability can be a good thing in certain circles, but in the movie realm, it is not.  In this installment, Neeson’s character has to travel to Instanbul for business.  His ex-wife and daughter end up surprising him and meeting him there.  All the while, the family members of the men Neeson killed in the first movie while trying to save his daughter were plotting to get revenge for their collective losses.  If you have not seen the movie, I will not ruin it for you.  I recommend this movie and I think it will keep your attention for two hours.  But, it is not as good as the first movie.  You already knew that though.



Follow the Gentleman's Report




Peace     

No comments:

Post a Comment