Thursday, October 4, 2012

NBA Policy: Floppers Beware


 Derek Fisher
I love the game of basketball.  I love the competitive spirit of competing against great players.  When I was young, I was always able to turn to the game when things in my life were going south.  I still feel that way, and for the two or three hours I spend on the court, a hallowed ground if you will, I am totally at peace.  Nothing else matters.  I am quite certain professional players have a similar feeling about the game and about its importance.  That said, I have been, and will always be, confused at those who cheat the game.  I do no understand why these athletes find a way to “pull a fast one” on the referees.  Why?!  These cheaters are commonly referred to as “floppers.”

Of course, flopping should never be confused with taking a charge, which is a great defensive move.  I can still remember my high school basketball coach yelling at me and telling me to take a charge.  In my mind, I knew that I was not taking a charge in practice, in a game, or in my dream.  I weighed 145 pounds back then and it was not happening.  I thought of myself as the best shot blocker on my team and my assistant coach always joked that I was the shortest shot blocker in North Carolina high school basketball.  A charge occurs when a defensive player anticipates the offensive player’s move and beats him to the spot that he planned to go.  Gary Payton, Scottie Pippen and other great defensive players were masters at this defensive technique.  Those players should be applauded for their defensive efforts.

Floppers, on the other hand, should be punished by some cruel and unusual method.  I am exaggerating just a little.  Basketball is a contact sport and a person must be physically and mentally strong to excel.  Flopping is not a sign of strength; it is the ultimate sign of weakness.  I am not sure when it became commonplace in the NBA.  But, I believe Vlade Divac is one of the first known floppers in the NBA.  Nowadays, the NBA is filled with floppers including: Manu Ginobili, Anderson Varejao, Luis Scola, Derek Fisher, and Shane Battier.  They need to “man up.”

I read recently that the powers-that-be in the NBA have had enough of flopping.  They passed a new anti-flopping policy that will be enforced during the upcoming 2012-13 NBA season.  I am quite certain the policy will come under fire because distinguishing between a “flop” and a “charge” is based on the subjective views of a referee.  Players with a reputation for flopping are likely to get called for flopping at a higher rate.  Either way, the policy will allow a player to flop  one time and receive a warning.  For the second flop, they will receive a $5,000 fine, $10,000 fine for the third flop, $15,000 fine for the fourth, $30,000 fine for the fifth.  Six or more offenses could subject the player to an NBA mandated suspension.  The Player’s Union is not happy with the policy and they plan to file a grievance with the NBA.  Other players have spoken about the policy and said that it is a ploy for the NBA to rake in more revenue.    

Flopping is an unwanted irritant and it has not place in the game of basketball.  That said, I am not sure the proposed policy is the answer.
 

Follow the Gentleman's Report



 
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment