Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lawyer League Baketball: Win or Go Home


Basketball has played a major part of my life since I was 11 years old.  As much as I love basketball, I almost stopped playing a few years ago.  Law school was demanding and it made me feel that I did not have time to play.  I finally started playing basketball again at the end of my second year.  That really helped me get my mind back to the game.  During my third year, I joined a gym, and played a few times per week.  During bar prep immediately following my third year, I played basketball when I could, but realized how much I missed being away from the game.  The problem was simple: Where could I play with a group of like minded people who did not want to argue and fight about every possession?  The answer to that problem has been the Wake County Lawyer Basketball League.

I started working at my firm in September 2011 and almost immediately I asked my colleagues about local basketball leagues.  I was informed about the Wake County League.  I signed up for the league in November 2011 and the winter league began in January 2012.  The league was perfect because you played one game per week on Saturdays.  I ended up being selected to play on a good team and we clicked as a unit almost immediately.  We finished the season with an outstanding record and advanced through the playoffs.  Eventually, we lost in the championship game by 5 points.  I do not like losing, and making it that far just to lose the championship game was a tough pill to swallow.  I thought I would have to wait a year before being able to play again.  I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I would have a chance to play in the summer league.

The league began in July 2012.  I was on a completely different team, but we ended up meshing very well.  Everyone seemed to know and accept their roles.  At first, we thought we would be a zone team, but then, we figured out that we could hang our hats on man-to-man defense.  That worked really well for us as we went through the season.  We had to deal with many absences throughout the summer because of vacations and family obligations, so our record was not great.  The beauty of the postseason is that your regular season record does not matter.  You just need to hit your collective stride at the right time.  We did just that and made it to the championship round.  We played a very good team, but thanks to great pressure defense, timely shooting, and unselfish play, we won.  I was extremely excited to win the championship, considering my team’s loss in the championship game in March.

 Follow the Gentleman's Report
Pinterest
Instagram
Peace 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment