Monday, October 15, 2012

Jay Electronica: Where is the Album?


Please excuse my rant, but I have to get this off my chest.  Jay Electronica is one of the dopest emcess in the game right now.  But, is he really in the game without an album??  Jay Electronica is a lyricist.  That gets him at least 8 cool points.  He dated Erykah Badu.  She is dope, so that gets him another 10 points.  Exhibit C is one of the best mixtape songs I have ever heard.  Yep, add another 15 points.  He rapped toe to toe with some of the best emcess in the game, and held his own.  Add 20 points.  But, despite his great skills and all the cool points in the world, the fact remains that he still has not released an album.  My frustration cannot be tempered because I do not know who I should be mad at.  He is signed to Roc Nation, I think, so should my anger be directed at the management there?  Or, is Jay Electronica being a perfectionist and not finishing his album?  Who knows?  He needs to drop an album because no matter how talented he is, his buzz is just about dead.  Along those same lines, I was happy to see J. Cole drop his album while his buzz was still hot.  Shout out to him for dropping that classic, “Friday Night Lights.”  Hip hop fans can be fickle.  They can love you today and hate you tomorrow.  Today you are the best and tomorrow you are old news.  Remember Mims, Mr. “this is why I’m hot?”  Where is he now? You have to strike while the iron is hot.  I hope its not too late for Electronica.

I heard the name “Jay Electronica” for the first time a few years ago.  I was browsing online, as I like to do, and I came across his name.  I asked a few of my boys if they had ever heard of him.  All everyone said was “listen to Exhibit C.”  Nobody said listen because of any particular reasons, they all just said listen.  So I did.  If you have not heard the song, listen to the link below.  It is a classic track.  At the time of its release, it won a Sucker Free Summit Award for Instant Classic.  From that moment going forward, I began following his career.  Since then, he has released a few mix tapes.  Check out some of his newer songs. 

Exhibit C
“When I was sleeping on a train, sleepin’ on Meserole Ave out in the rain, without even a slice of pizza to my name, too proud to beg for change, mastering the pain, when New York Ni**as were calling southern rappers lame but then jacking out slang . . .”

Shiny Suit Theory
“Pay no attention to the critics and vulture they’d rather have a shot of Belvy just to spite you, they passing judgments cause they feel they got the right to, f**k em, I let the dice roll like the father did, I got to shine its in my blood im a Harlem Kid, I treat my babies right treate my ladies lady like, hit em with a remix to make sure they play me twice . . .

The Ghost of Christopher Wallace      
"Don’t talk to me about who’s the best alive or who is in your top five, cause he is not ill, real recognize real, stick to your deal, try to make a cool mil off the single, with that ringtone appeal, in three years you’ll be nil . . . “


Jay Electronica tweeted at the end of July 2012 that his album is finished.  This is good news, but I still have no idea when, if at all, that it will be released. 

Follow the Gentleman's Report





Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment