Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fabolous: Soul Tape II


Fabolous is one of my favorites emcees.  He rarely, if ever, disappoints when he releases a mix tape.  His Thanksgiving release of Soul Tape 2 did not disappoint.  After listening to it 3 times, I can confidently say that it may be his most complete mixtape to date.  I think it has the perfect number of songs, 12.  If you have followed Fab's career, you know his word play, and punchlines are on point.  Check it out if you have not heard it yet.

"Only Life I Know" featuring Troy Ave is one of my favorite tracks.  The song is an ode to "the game," which can be applied to any career.  However, Fab discusses the life of hustlers and how they are addicted to the game.  It incorporates snippets from the movie Heat and Paid In Full.  Mitch from Paid in Full said "I love the game, I love to hustle, I be feeling like one of those ball player ni**as ya know, Bird, Magic or something, you know a ni**a got dough, he can lead the league, but if I leave, the fans still gonna love me man?"  That line sums up the game for many hustlers.  My favorite verse from the song is: "They say a woman cancels dates cause she has to, and a man cancels dates cause he has two, well I got two dates, one with destiny, I need more baby, don't think less of me . . . "

"Louis Vuitton" featuring J. Cole is another one of my favorites songs.  This song is about the mentality of a gold digger.  One of my favorites lines from the song is: You know the ones that will order the lobster, go for the champaigne, don't care what you do, but you better do a damn thing if you wanna win the campaign, cause her company just ain't cheap . . . "  

"For the Love" is another one of my favorite songs.  "These squares can never stop me, you'll try angles to play me, two lines for your fu** boys,pause that now play me, right from where I left off, lets get back to that real ish,that sit back just chill ish, whip packs of that kill ish, I chit chat about trill ish, speak that how I feel ish, I give you four bars it will be a kit kat of some real ish . . . "      

Fab delivers on this album.  Check it out.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment