Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Home For The Holidays

Thanksgiving 2012 was one of the best holidays of my life.  I caught up with family members and old friends.  I also ate myself into a food coma on Thursday.  I had turkey, broccoli and cheese, macaroni and cheese, pinto beans, rolls, sweet potato pie, rice, gravy, and chicken.  Great food.

During my meal on Thursday, I could not help but think about how thankful I am for what I have.  There are so many people who do not have food, or a warm place to enjoy family and friends.  I like to reflect often, but Thanksgiving makes me appreciate every  aspect of my life just a little more.  Interestingly enough, that even includes things that can be annoying.
I visited my old middle school while I was home as well.  Cook Middle School is the place where I learned many life lessons and made lifelong friends.  It truly is a special place, despite the fact that it was often referred to as the Eastside High of Winston-Salem.  I learned to love the game of basketball, and the importance of loyalty.  I am grateful for the many lessons learned at Cook.  While visiting Cook Thursday morning, I ventured down the street to Paisley Middle School for the annual Turkey Bowl football game between my alma mater, Mount Tabor, and East Forsyth.  Mount Tabor lost by one point, but it was good seeing so many old faces.

When I return to Winston-Salem in December, I will be participating in an alumni basketball game against RJ Reynolds high school.  That said, I know how important it is to keep myself in playing shape.  I played basketball at the Central YMCA on Friday morning at 5:00 a.m. and again on Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m.  When my friend told me about the game on Friday morning, I really thought he meant 500 p.m.  Boy was I wrong.  Either way, there was no shortage of talent in the gym both days.  I will be ready for the game against RJ Reynolds on December 22, 2012.  If you are in town, the game will be played at the old Carver high school gymnasium at 3:00 p.m.

It is funny how a trip to a special place can rejuvenate your mind, body and soul.  That is definitely how I feel after returning from my parents' home.


Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment