Friday, November 30, 2012

David Stern and Gregg Popovich: Two Sides of the Coin

Last night, I watched the Miami Heat host the San Antonio Spurs, I think.  I mean, the Spurs did not quite look like the Spurs.  Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, nor Tony Parker suited up for the game.  If you are wondering if the players were suspended, the answer is no.  Their coach, Gregg Popovich, made a strategic decision to rest his players.  David Stern, NBA Commissioner, did not appreciate this move.  I honestly see both sides of the argument, but I ultimately side with Coach Popovich.

One constant in the world we live in today is the concept of rules.  To my knowledge,the NBA does not have a rule stating its coaches jurisdiction for handling personnel matters i.e., when to "rest" players not due to injury.  Let's be honest, if the perviously mentioned players were injured, we would not be having this conversation today.  Adam Silver, NBA Deputy Commissioner, recently stated that personnel decisions are within the discretion of NBA coaches.  That said, there are not any rules specifically governing this practice. 

Gregg Popovich let it be known that he would be resting his "core" group of players for the 11/29/12 meeting with the Heat.  He noted that his team was in the midst of a long road trip and that his players needed the rest.  Not only did he plan to not play these players, he actually sent them home on a private flight.   

That was not the first occassion that Popovich rested certain players.  He admittedly coaches an older team, with many of his best players being at least 30 years old.  Since there is not a rule prohibiting this practice and he has done it in the past, without sanction, I do not see how a suspension or sanction would be proper under the circumstances.

On the other hand, I certainly understand David Stern's position.  As the Commissioner, he is responsible for making sure the fans are pleased with the product produced by the NBA.  If I was a Floridian who bought tickets to see my favorite player (let's say Tim Duncan) and he did not play because he was "tired" I would be highly upset.  Maybe I would want a refund of my money.  Who knows?  Either way, it is safe to say that many people were upset by this move. Don't get me wrong, I believe many teams sit players because they are "tired," but at least they blame it on the health of the player.  I think Popovich was a little too comfortable with his control over his team.  That said, Stern believes he has to punish Popovich.  It seems to me that he wants to align himself with the fans and make sure they remain happy, ticket purchasing people.  I think Stern has a legitimate argument.

However, absent a rule to the contrary, Gregg Popovich appears to have been within his power to rest his players. 

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment